Monday, October 17, 2011

Fireline is Not Just for Fishing

In the description for the most recent necklace I posted to our Etsy site, I included the product "Fireline" in connection with the spiral stitch used to create the necklace.  If you are a fisherman, you might wonder why in the world we would use Fireline?  If you're not a fisherman, here's a little info on this wonderful product that is a plus to have in your beadbox, especially if you like to do something more elaborate than bead stringing.

Berkley Fireline is part of their "superline" family of polyethylene microfibered fishing line.  Its known for it strength and the fact that there is little stretch.  Colors such as "Crystal" and "Smoke" make the line nearly invisible not only to fish but also when woven into beaded designs.

I discovered the product several years ago when it was suggested in a project I decided to try and I haven't used anything else for my weaving and stitching projects since.  It's thin enough to thread on a needle and can be tied off and hidden anywhere in your project.  It won't break and beads won't wear it down or cause it to fray.  
Some bead supply houses have been stocking it in recent years, but you can also find it a sports shops such as Cabela's or a local bait and tackle shop. (When the girl behind the counter asked me if I knew how to use Fireline the first time I purchased a spool at my local bait shop, was she surprised when I explained I wasn't fishing but beading!)

Give it a try on you next project; you won't be disappointed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment